Brett has been an active member of the WRX Club of Queensland since 2003 and we are happy to present his MY00 "the last of the classics" as May's first feature car!Car:
September 1999 built Subaru Impreza WRX.Mods:
|- Windows tinted to T35|
- A'PEXi RS exhaust with dual pipe dump (dump pipe in shed)
- Hyperflow FMIC with silicon pipework and K&N pod filter
- Autometer Phantom Boost guage
- Turbosmart MBC set to 16PSI (gave away)
- PossumLink V5 ECU + Link KnockLink
- OE 3 port boost solenoid + retune
- MSR open mouth dump pipe & new 3" cat + retune
- MRT brake booster brace
- Whiteline ALK
- Whiteline Super Low Springs (sold)
- Front badge painted dark green (stolen)
- Full engine bay earthing kit
- Alpine MP3 head unit, Focal speakers front and rear
- Skirts and spats colour coded to body
- Finish exhaust to full 3" spec + retune
- AVO silicone inlet pipe + retune
- Fire extinguisher mounted in front of passenger seat
- Exedy organic clutch, higher clamp
|- IHI VF29 turbo + Walbro 500HP pump + returne|
- Injectors to 700cc + retune
- Front Version 6 STi pink badge
- Complete '02 STi drive train, 6MT box, R180 rear diff, hubs, driveshafts.
- DBA 4000S front rotors, RB74 pads, DBA 356S rear rotors, RB74 spec pads
- MY01 wheels
- MY03 wheels
- APS dual port BOV
- CnJ Large Aluminium radiator
- CnJ Oil/Air separator
- Water injection kit (Aquamist 1S)
- Tein Flex coil overs
- Windows re-tinted to T20
- Rear WRX sticker replaced with WRX badge from '06
- No name strut brace (thanks Shem)
- Link G4 ecu, Innovate LC-1 wide band, Link KnockBlock + retune
- Water Injection changed to Water/Meth injection + retune
- '05 STi steering wheel
- Full HID conversion
- Version 6 STi front lip
.Brett purchased the car in November 1999 to replace a HSV enhanced VS Series I Ute. Within two days of purchasing (with 40km on the ODO) the car was run in with over 1,500km. Interestingly enough Brett did not start the modifications until 50,000km was reached.
Living in the NT at the time meant the legs could be stretched legally, and they were on more than one occasion, with Brett having fond recollections of fast commutes from Darwin to Katherine several times a week. Also on the list was well over 150km of dirt and gravel driving each week and the immense fun that was.
Brett has tried many different oils including brands and weights in the cars life and settled with Castrol 10w60 full synthetic at the recommendation of fellow club member Mick Jones. Coupled with that are Motul fluids in the gearbox, diff, cooling system, brakes and clutch.
Brett chose a IHI VF29 as the replacement turbo for the street-ability of it and retuned the car, only to find out a new fuel pump and injectors were needed, much to the annoyance of Vicki his wife. Unfortunately the extra torque coupled with the higher clamping rate on the clutch were the end of the gearbox, specifically 3rd gear, where both input and output teeth were stripped. Luck had it that a friend in Sydney was importing two MY02 STi drivetrains, one was secured and subsequently installed.
With the idea of competing in motorsport events Brett started replacing parts to that end, with new suspension, better braking, larger radiator, water injection and finally a decent aftermarket ECU package.
Brett originally set the car up for fun, but the thought of punishing her at motorsport pointed Brett back in the direction of a great street car - an all-rounder that goes to the shops, making the school pick up run or a spirited drive through the twisty bits.
As a true show of Brett's hard work and Subaru build quality she now reads 180,000km on the clock. Despite the need for a little TLC in the form of some fresh paint and some suspension bushes the car is in great condition as can be seen.Note: Wedding shot taken by Nu Image Photography (http://nuimage.com.au/)